Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Sabi ni Dok

My doctor prescribed vitamins, suggested I go on a maternal diet, and fervently reminded me to avoid teratogens (substances that cause developmental malformations) such as alcohol. Intake of alcohol during pregnancy can lead to fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS), which can cause impaired growth and development, facial abnormalities, cardiac defects, and skeletal and joint malformations. I don’t smoke tobacco but I would have to avoid inhaling the smoke because it is believed to lower the birth weight of the fetus and is also associated with placenta praevia, abruptio placentae, and elevated maternal blood pressure. Of course illegal drugs are on the list! If it can cause loads of harm to someone who’s not pregnant, imagine the negative effects it may have on a fetus. I’m not a caffeine junkie but I was asked to limit my caffeine intake since excessive caffeine intake although not believed to have teratogenic effects, may account for low birth weight in infants. The doctor also gave me a list of over-the-counter medications and prescriptions drugs that are safe for pregnant women. She also told me not to hesitate to consult her before I take any drug that’s not on the list.

Am I excited? I’m not excited at all! (I already had my ultrasound scheduled! Ahahaha!) Anyway, please excuse me I have to buy these vitamins. LOL

No comments: